In this time of socioeconomic changes and political turmoil, families in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region are struggling to overcome poverty, to reconcile work and family responsibilities, and to maintain intergenerational bonds that sustained them in the past.
The Doha International family Institute (DIFI) organized an Expert Group Meeting (EGM) entitled 'Protecting the Arab Family from Poverty: Employment, Social Integration and Intergenerational Solidarity' in Doha, 2 and 3 June 2013.
The EGM is convened as part of the preparations for the 20th anniversary of the International Year of the Family in 2014.
The main issues to be discussed are:
- Social and economic trends affecting families and the need for adequate policy response.
- Anti-poverty, family-focused policies.
- Employment, family and work balance/policies and practices.
- Recent trends in family poverty and social exclusion.
- Demographic and social trends impacting intergenerational relations.
- Social integration and intergenerational solidarity.
Fourteen high profile experts have undertaken a comprehensive review of what has been achieved in the MENA region in confronting family poverty, ensuring work-family balance and advancing social integration and Intergenerational solidarity, highlighting challenges and success, exploring good practices, lessons learned, and providing policy recommendations.
- UN DESA – Economic and Social Council, Family Social Policy and Development Division
- 20th Anniversary of International Year of Family
- Twentieth Anniversary of the International Year of the Family, 2014: the Objectives by Renata Kaczmarska
- Income Distribution and Poverty in Arab Countries by Massoud Karshenas
- Achieving MDG 1 in the Arab Region: Gender Equality and the Role of Families by Farzaneh Roudi
- التنمية الاجتماعية ومكافحة الفقر من منظور الاسرة – افكار للنقاش by Adib Nehme
- Employment Creation, Poverty Reduction And Social Integration In The Arab World: The Unfinished Agenda by Zafiris Tzannatos
- Women, Work and Family in the Arab Region: Toward Economic Citizenship by Valentine Moghadam
- ضمان التوازن بين العمل والمسئوليات الأسرية في دول الخليج العربية by Kaltham Al Ghanim
- Measures to promote work-family reconciliation in the MENA region: parental leave, child care and good practices by Narjes Mehdizadeh
- The family and social integration in the Middle East and North Africa by Djavad Salehi-Isfahani
- Building Adequate Social Protection System for Families by Ursula Kulke
- Social Integration by Kamal Hamdan
- Women in The Arab Family by Hania Sholkamy
- Demographic and social trends affecting intergenerational relations in the MENA region by Mahmood Messkoub
- Promoting intergenerational solidarity: Promoting the Rights of the Elderly People by Najat El Mekkaoui